The Bhukkad Cereal Killer is an easy to prepare, tasty and satisfying breakfast dish, it’s almost comfort food! Made with whole grains and naturally sweetened with iron and potassium rich bananas, dates and jaggery, and with minimal prep time,this breakfast dish is ideal when you are time crunched, and also helps you sustain your energy levels. Top it up with fresh fruits and nuts, and you can boost up antioxidants in your meal. It is a light and wholesome breakfast which offers a great start to the day!
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Difficulty Level: Super Easy
Rolled Oats: 1 Tbsp
Broken Wheat: 4 Tbsp
Milk: 300 ml (2 Cups)
Water: 350 ml (2⅓ cups)
Grated / Powdered Jaggery: 4 Tbsp
Olive Oil: 1 Tsp
Banana: 1 (peeled & Sliced)
Dates: 4 (deseeded & chopped)
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat olive oil till slightly hot, and saute the broken wheat on a slow flame till slightly aromatic, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the oats and saute further for about a minute more
- Add the milk and water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 12-14 minutes, till the broken wheat is cooked, and the moisture almost absorbed.
- Remove from flame and add the jaggery, and stir till dissolved.
- Chill this mixture once cool.
- Add sliced banana and dates and mix.
- Top with fresh fruits and nuts of your choice.
- Enjoy your Bhukkad Cereal Killer !
- If you are lactose intolerant, you can replace milk with soy milk, coconut milk or almond milk.
- If you are allergic to Gluten, make a gluten-free version by replacing broken wheat with quinoa.
- Going easy on sweet things? Remove jaggery from the recipe and add a grated apple and a pinch of cinnamon instead!
Nutritional Values per Serve:
Energy: 305 KCal
The cereal killer has been the favourite post various in the city like the Cult 5k, Peace Marathon at Cubbon Mark, various runs at Decathlon Sarjapur, NCF Tactical Run etc.